Skip to content
mokk

Go-to-market strategy

The product you’re launching has a critical bug found 48 hours before launch day. How do you handle it?

Get the facts first, then decide with product and engineering whether to delay, launch with a workaround, or narrow the launch. Prepare honest customer and sales messaging for each option, and communicate early and clearly to leadership. Interviewers listen for calm, structured thinking and for putting the customer’s trust ahead of the date.

Updated · 3 min read

Why interviewers ask it

This is a pressure scenario. The interviewer wants to see whether you stay structured, involve the right people, and protect trust instead of defending a date.

It scores mainly on cross-functional influence and strategic thinking. On the rubric, a Strong answer on strategic thinking builds plans grounded in market and business context.

How to structure your answer

  1. Get the facts. How severe, who is affected, and how long a fix would take.
  2. Lay out the options. Delay, launch with a workaround, or launch to a smaller audience.
  3. Decide with the owners. Product, engineering, and leadership choose, and you advise on the market impact.
  4. Prepare the communication. Honest messaging for customers, sales, and the press for each option.
  5. Follow up. Update everyone as facts change and review what you would do differently.

What a strong answer sounds like

Every name and number here is invented. Your version should use your own.

“I would first get the facts from engineering. How severe is the bug, who does it affect, and how long would a fix take. Then I would lay out three options with the product lead, delay, a narrowed launch to customers not affected, or launch with a documented workaround. My role is to describe the market impact of each. Say the bug corrupts data for one type of account. I would recommend a narrowed launch and a short delay for the rest. I would prepare a plain message for customers and a brief for sales, and tell leadership within the hour. Afterward I would review how the bug reached this stage, since a late find usually points to a gap in the release process.”

What a weak answer sounds like

“I would try to keep the launch date since we have already promised it to customers. I would work with engineering to fix it quickly and make sure marketing is ready. If needed we could launch anyway and patch the bug later.”

The weak answer defends the date without weighing customer risk. Lay out the options, involve the owners, and put trust ahead of the schedule.

Follow-ups to expect

  • Who makes the final call?
  • How would you tell customers who were already promised the date?
  • What if the CEO insists on launching?
  • How would you prevent this next time?

Prepare a sentence or two for each. The follow-up questions guide explains how to answer briefly and keep your structure.

More questions in this category

Frequently asked questions

Should I recommend delaying?
It depends on severity and who is affected. Show that you would weigh the options and advise, and let the owners decide.
What if I can’t reach engineering?
Escalate through the product lead and set a deadline for the facts, and do not guess.

Practice it

Answer it out loud.

A Mokk session asks this question and follows up on your answer. A question costs 1 credit and your first credit is free.